Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sid joins normal children

This is what I have been hoping of and striving for all these years.................

Sid finally gets to join a class of normal children. As per the Indian system of Education, Sid is now in UKG. Children of his age are in a year ahead of him. But then fine for me and more than that for Sid- my Lil Buddha.

The amazing fact about Sid is that he has this huge capacity to learn and remember. He picks up the spelling in a day and so does the mathematical sums. His short term recall memory is slightly bad but then over the time he is improving a lot.

The issue that troubles me with him is that he is too much into repetitive behaviour. He can ask one question ten times and that too in one go. This behaviour for others is annoying specially for the ones who do not know or can not judge that Sid is autistic

2 comments:

Rajesh said...

All very well, but I feel a little uneasy about the word ‘autistic’ in the context it has been used here….
When I hear autistic, the word doesn’t enlighten me much rather one is tempted to look at a person from a particular angle…a preconceived special way of looking.
Life being live forever eludes concepts and categories based on just past experiences and statistics which in itself are guided by further past experiences….
Naming or categorizing things can still be glossed over but categorizing persons is just taking life out of them…
When we categorize or name a thing, it is put aside, not to be looked again. ‘It is been understood…!’ To us understanding a thing is to just categorize it…
It comes easy. It is practical. It is our culture and up bringing, it’s a way of getting around things-not to face them! Who has the time? We all do it. We all name and categorize.
I am looking at something which has come up from the earth…it has trunk and branches with myriads bend and angles, it has leaves…Birds are sitting on it and its silhouette is enchanting…and I term it as a tree immediately. I have seen countless trees and marveled at it…yesterday and a day before yesterday and so on…well it is a tree and in my thinking it will remain a tree, and so when I look at it again…I am not looking at its branches, its leaves or the birds sitting on it…I am looking at a convenient, practical, born out of experience concept…and I just fail to marvel at it…it’s a tree.. So what…just a tree and I move on…

jaypee said...

An exact illustration of not being able to see the wood for the trees.
I've been seeing lots of people who've something or else to do with what is called 'autism'. they present children with a particular group of traits as some kind of assembly line automatons. this is the problem with dealing with the problem of children who are called autistics. as you get to read and hear more about autism, you start seeing your child from a particular perspective.
amrita too is guilty of it sometimes but, I must add, she can be trusted for her intuitive understanding of things. what she "does" for sidharth is perfectly complemented by her "non-actions", which, I believe, have done lot of good for him.